Thursday, April 05, 2007

Blog 2.0

Many of you have noticed a precipitous decline in my blogging of late.

While I would like to blame the drop in output on the loss of my culinary wing man to prenatal dietary restrictions, that is only part of the story. A sudden onslaught of fiscal responsibility associated with the dual responsibilities of furnishing a nursery and funding my chocolate lab's expensive chemotherapy habit also played a role.

To be honest, the real reason is that I feel like this blog strayed too far from its intended purpose. I began this effort hoping to chronicle my culinary adventures. What I hadn't planned on was that it would escalate into a game of gastronomic oneupsmanship. This well-intentioned blog devolved into a game of "trophy dining" - a hedonistic parade of increasingly famous, lavish, and expensive restaurants.

With hat in hand, I am now humbly recommitting these pages to their original purpose - the celebration of culinary delights: The first fiddle heads of spring; that bottle of wine you forgot you had in the cellar; that amazing cheese you decided to try against your best hygienic judgement. These are the great moments in gastronomy - and they exist independent of Michelin stars, celebrity chefs, 12-course tasting menus and checks that surpass the monthly rent on your average single family home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home